Wednesday, February 3, 2016

• PARASYTE: The Hand with the Mind of Its Own •

I'm no fan of Anime brought to life movies or Anime in its usual fashion but this movie really got me.

It reeled me in.

Caught my attention.


"Parasyte is a science fiction horror manga series written and illustrated by Hitoshi Iwaaki, and published in Kodansha's Afternoon magazine from 1988 to 1995."  - Wikipedia


I didn't know what to expect really, all I know was.. Ms. Elisse had taken us to the AVR room to watch a movie.

 (Keep in mind, I am not used to Anime movies so bear with me) 

At first I was kind of bothered by how the first scene in Parasyte was already a crucial point of the movie but, the thrill was there. Seeing how an alien would be able to sliver up and penetrate human skin so easily, in the midst of the night and no longer being able to wake up the next morning for you're consumed by an entity unknown to man, is horrifying. 

The "Parasyte" reminded me of the shrimp-like creature in Andy and Lana Wachowski's The Matrix. Where Neo was pinned down to have the said parasite, enter his body. Talk about brutal..

The Matrix (1999)
Directed by: Andy & Lana Wachowski

The difference was, that the worm-like in Parasyte had a mind and personality of its own. Whereas the one that entered Neo's body was more of a virus.

Shinichi Izumi, was lucky enough to have noticed the creature in his bedroom. And once again, a pair of headphones have saved another life. If it weren't for those, he would have died like the rest of the parasites' hosts. But Shinichi was lucky. I still couldn't figure out why Migi (the parasite) only got control of his hand but it was adorable. The next morning, Shinichi woke up feeling funny and his hand had a mind of its own. Then followed their adventures together. 

Parasyte - Manga Series
Written and Illustrated by: Hitoshi Iwaaki
I couldn't help but admire how they got the animated version right with the real live action version. 

Although it seemed like the scenes were all the same: a parasite kills another human, it feeds and kills again. You get reeled in because of the conflict rising. Especially when Migi was not able to complete his mission, that is, taking full control of Shinichi's body, he is now sentenced to death by fellow parasites. He and Shinichi pose as a threat to the parasitic race as they are unlike them. And how they are actually working together and co-habiting was astonishing to them.

It was a Comedy-Action with a tad of  Drama to me. But I wouldn't want to give away the whole story. All I can say is.. 

Parasyte brought me to tears. 
It was an entertaining movie although not a movie of my type, but it's pretty decent for a Manga-adaptation.
I'd give it a 6.9/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment