Wednesday, February 10, 2016

• SEMINAR: Philippine Media and the Millenials •

02/09/2016. We were called early to the Auditorium for a seminar in GRAMCOMM. All the English Professors were there and we had our PUBSPE 1 there as well.

We were asked to take notes so we did. And that we should listen closely for there was an upcoming quiz about the content in said seminar so I listened.


Credits to the Photo-taker (I did not take this photo)
Our host for the day was a UP Los Banos graduate, a former executive Producer and Editor-in-Chief of subselfie.com. His name was Toni Tiemsin.

And he taught us about us, millenials, are living in the "Me, me, me generation". I could not deny as it is true. We did live in a self-centered society whose first impulse was to take photos in the most bad situations.




Person 1: OH, WHAT'S THAT?!?
Person 2: Where?
Person 1: THAT HOUSE IS BURNING!!!
Person 2: Hold on, let me take a selfie.*snaps*

Galaxy Quest (1999)
I feel your pain, Alan. 

Not only have we been vain but we are blinded by the lies the Media has been feeding us. 

The host used to work for a local TV Network (which was awesome) and so he knew what was going inside the concrete walls of the newsroom. He had told us that no matter how a story was important, so much so that the world needed to hear, if the big guy in the big chair says it doesn't go, it doesn't go. Instead, they put up stupid stories that were only good for a day and move on on the next day.

Anchorman (2004)
He, Toni Tiemsin, had a goal. And that was to make the world aware of what's really happening around us. And so that is why he and some colleagues had thought of making a blog site. And it's no ordinary blog site, too, it features the happening around the world, many of which were not aired on local news programs. Amazing, right? How up to this day we continue to listen to the countless lies covered by the media. All this time, many of us were unaware.

And so he taught us a thing or two, about how we can help:
-Be better Prosumers (Producer-Consumer, if you were wondering) of Media.
-Stay well-informed and well-rounded
-Be intelligent producer-consumers
-Stay relevant
-Maintain Sensitivity

and last but not the least,

Think of your kapwa.  

 At the end of the seminar, he had most of us thinking.


 "What can I contribute to the millenials?", this thought puzzled me. And so I said to myself, if I can share posts and photos of absolute nonsense, I sure as heck can share the world's stories. 

I refuse to be like the others, I do not want to be mindless and unaware. I want to be part of the sensible.   

No comments:

Post a Comment