Wednesday, February 24, 2016

• Turn Left, Turn Right •

“Beauty is such a certainty, but uncertainty is more beautiful”

Turn Right Turn Left, a movie directed by Johnnie To and Wai Ka-Fai.



I was intrigued as soon as I saw the title when it came up on the screen. I didn't know what to expect since I don't usually watch Asian rom-coms or any other genre in general. But as soon as we'd finished, I was happy, disappointed and relieved that I actually watched the film. It was, hands down, the most frustrating movie I have ever took the time to tune in to. 

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
It was frustrating to me because the antagonists were annoying and if only John (763092) and Eve (784533) had opened their eyes, then they could have been together (dating) from the very start. But of course, there wouldn't be any thrill or at this point: a movie, right? 

Their fate was written in the stars. It was clear: they were meant to be together. They were both at the same place at the same time but they just weren't looking. It was amazing. 

This movie made me believe that everyone was meant for a someone and all it takes is perfect timing. Also, it lead me to believe that there is somebody out there, patient enough to wait to get to know you, see you and have you. That in a world of 7,432,663,275 people, there still remain passionate and hopeful people existing. 

I was put off by the ending, though. It was open-ended and by that moment when the cameras focused on to their umbrellas, it was finished. We didn't find out whether John went to U.K. or if Eve went to Poland (or somewhere in Europe). Imagine, after all this time, they couldn't have been in each other's embrace if it weren't for the earthquake. What a fortunate hour for a calamity to occur. 

I have mixed emotions about the movie. 

I liked it.

I hated it. 

but

I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment